Wednesday 23 March 2011

Optical Illusion

For a previous project, I created a jacket through experimenting with shapes directly onto the stand. This progressed into a jacket in relation to the Japenese kimono. I was thrilled with the result and it became an influence on my current project. I began looking at texture and pattern within buildings and nature, and wanted to produce a knitted garment that reflected and those elements.
As the jacket I created was very rigid in shape, I wanted to discover how the shape would differ as a draped,  knitted piece.
Yohji Yamamoto's work has been of influence on the jacket and visiting his exhibition at the Victoria and Albert museum was very inspiring. The pieces he had created for past collections were phenomonal. The structure and form not only portrayed them as fashion garments, but also sculptural art.

"Generally, colours are like lures, illusions produced by the light"   
    
Yohji Yamamoto 1985


Yohji Yamamoto
V & A 12th March-10 July




No comments:

Post a Comment